Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- Barabash, T., Ouellette-Kuntz, H., & Martin, L. (2021). From premise to practice: applicability of a consensus statement for supporting adults with IDD who are frail. Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities, 34(1), 670-674. doi: 10.1111/jar.12825.
- Broders, K., & Wiersma, E.C. (online first). Creating change: The experiences of women living with young-onset dementia. Disability & Society.
- Camargo-Plazas, P., Costa, I.G., Pare, G., Alvarado, B., & Duhn, L. (2021). Conducting research in the time of COVID-19: Re-visioning a PAR project about diabetes self-management education for seniors in rural Ontario, Canada. New Trends in Qualitative Research, 8, 554–561. https://doi.org/10.36367/ntqr.8.2021.554–561.
- Herring, M. G., Martin, L., & Kristman, V. (2021). Characteristics and needs of persons admitted to an inpatient psychiatric hospital with workers compensation coverage. Frontiers of Psychiatry, Public Mental Health, 12: 673123. doi:
- Hiebert, A., & Kortes-Miller, K. (2021). Finding Home in Online Community: Exploring TikTok as a Support for LGBTQ+ Youth Throughout COVID-19. Journal of LGBT Youth (accepted with minor revisions).
- Koné Péfoyo, A., Scharf, D. (2021). Prevalence of multimorbidity in adults with cancer, and associated health service utilization in Ontario, Canada: a population-based retrospective cohort study. BMC Cancer 21, 406. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12885-021-08102-1
- Costa, I. G., Plazas, M. P.C., & Tregunno, D. (2020). I cannot afford offloading boots: Perceptions of socioeconomic factors influencing engagement in self-management of diabetic foot ulcer. Adv. Nur Sci. 43(4). DOI: 10.1097/ANS.0000000000000328.
- Durant, K. L., & Kortes-Miller, K. (2020). Physician snapshot: the forming landscape of MAiD in northwestern Ontario. Palliative Care and Social Practice, 14, 2632352420932927.
- Martin, L., Deck, E., Barabash, T., & Ouellette-Kuntz, H. (2020). Intersectoral collaboration in the context of supporting adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities who are frail. Research and Practice in Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, 7(1), 26-38. doi:1080/23297018.2019.1710723.
- St. Amant, O. & Sutherland, N. (2020). Unpacking the hidden curriculum in nursing education: Clinical placements abroad. International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship 17(1)https://doi.org/10.1515/ijnes-2019-0128 .
- Sutherland, N. (2020). Structures, tensions, and processes shaping long-term care home staff’s role in end of life decision-making for residents with dementia. Journal of Aging Studies, 58. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaging.2020.100874.
- Boulé, Jess & Wilson, Kimberley & Kortes-Miller, Katherine & Stinchcombe, Arne. (2019). “We Live in a Wonderful Country, Canada, but…”: Perspectives From Older LGBTQ Ontarians on Visibility, Connection, and Power in Care and Community. The International Journal of Aging and Human Development. 10.1177/0091415019857060.
- Prince, Holly & Nadin, Shevaun & Crow, Maxine & Maki, Luanne & Monture, Lori & Smith, Jeroline & Kelley, Mary Lou. (2019). “If you understand you cope better with it”: the role of education in building palliative care capacity in four First Nations communities in Canada. BMC Public Health. 19. 10.1186/s12889-019-6983-y.
- Sutherland, Nisha & Wiersma, Elaine & Vangel, Paula. (2019). Barriers to Staff Involvement in End-of-Life Decision-Making for Long-Term Care Residents with Dementia. Canadian Journal on Aging / La Revue canadienne du vieillissement. 38. 1-13. 10.1017/S0714980818000636.
- Wiersma, Elaine & Marcella, Jill & McAnulty, Jessica & Kelley, Mary Lou. (2019). ‘That just breaks my heart’: Moral Concerns of Direct Care Workers Providing Palliative Care in LTC Homes. Canadian Journal on Aging / La Revue canadienne du vieillissement. 1-13. 10.1017/S0714980818000624.
- Wilson, Kimberley & Stinchcombe, Arne & Ismail, Mariam & Kortes-Miller, Katherine. (2019). LGBTQ2+ aging in Canada: Building the evidence and informing action. The Canadian Journal of Human Sexuality. 1-14. 10.3138/cjhs.2018-0049.
- Kelley, Mary Lou & Prince, Holly & Nadin, Shevaun & Brazil, Kevin & Crow, Maxine & Hanson, Gaye & Maki, Luanne & Monture, Lori & Mushquash, Christopher & O’Brien, Valerie & Smith, Jeroline. (2018). Developing palliative care programs in Indigenous communities using participatory action research: a Canadian application of the public health approach to palliative care. Annals of Palliative Medicine. 7. S52-S72. 10.21037/apm.2018.03.06.
- Kelley, Mary Lou & Prince, Holly & Nadin, Shevaun & Brazil, Kevin & Crow, Maxine & Hanson, Gaye & Maki, Luanne & Monture, Lori & Mushquash, Christopher & O’Brien, Valerie & Smith, Jeroline. (2018). The power to choose: the story of developing palliative care in four First Nations communities. ASVIDE. 5. 442-442. 10.21037/asvide.2018.442.
- Kortes-Miller, Katherine & Boulé, Jessica & Wilson, Kimberley & Stinchcombe, Arne. (2018). Dying in Long-Term Care: Perspectives from Sexual and Gender Minority Older Adults about Their Fears and Hopes for End of Life. Journal of Social Work in End-of-Life & Palliative Care. 14. 1-16. 10.1080/15524256.2018.1487364.
- Kortes-Miller, Katherine & Wilson, Kimberley & Stinchcombe, Arne. (2018). Care and LGBT Aging in Canada: A Focus Group Study on the Educational Gaps among Care Workers. Clinical Gerontologist. 42. 1-6. 10.1080/07317115.2018.1544955.
- Nadin, Shevaun & Crow, Maxine & Prince, Holly & Kelley, Mary Lou. (2018). Wiisokotaatiwin: Development and evaluation of a community-based palliative care program in Naotkamegwanning First Nation. Rural and Remote Health. 18. 10.22605/RRH4317.
- O’Connor, Deborah & Mann, Jim & Wiersma, Elaine. (2018). Stigma, discrimination and agency: Diagnostic disclosure as an everyday practice shaping social citizenship. Journal of Aging Studies. 44. 45-51. 10.1016/j.jaging.2018.01.010.
- Prince, Holly. (2018). AB005. Celebrating indigenous communities’ compassionate traditions. Annals of Palliative Medicine. 7. AB005-AB005. 10.21037/apm.2018.s005.
- Kortes-Miller, K. (under review). Offering Social Work Care for Spiritual Needs at the End of Life. In J. Vis & H. Boyton (eds) Trauma, spirituality and post-traumatic growth in clinical social work practice.
- Prince, H., Kortes-Miller, K., Stajduhar, K and Marshall, D. (in press). Public Health Palliative Care, Equity-Oriented Care, and Structural Vulnerability. In J. Abel & A. Kellehear (eds) Oxford Textbook of Public Health Palliative Care. Oxford University Press.
- Rabeh, S. A. N., Costa, IG., Valdebenito, P., Nogueira, P.C & Salazar, M. E. (2020). Evaluation and care of the skin of the older adults in primary care. In: R. A. P. Rodrigues, Attention to older adult care in the community in times of COVI-19. Panamerican Health Organization.
- Wiersma, E.C., Clarke, C., & Heibein, B. (in press). Power, authority, and voice: Democratizing research with people with dementia. In Liamputtong, P. (Ed), Handbook of Social Inclusion: Research Practices in Health and Social Sciences. Springer Publications.
Technical and Research Reports
- Wiersma, E.C., & Shandruk, E. (July 2020). Supporting aging in place in Terrace Bay, Ontario. Thunder Bay, ON: CERAH, Lakehead University.
- Wiersma, E.C. (2018). A Process Evaluation of the Behavioural Supports Ontario Initiative in the North West Local Health Integration Network: Part 1 Exploring the Implementation of Behavioural Supports Ontario Program in Five LHIN Regions. BSO Evaluation. Submitted to the NW LHIN.
- Nadin, S., & Wiersma, E. (2018). A Process Evaluation of the Behavioural Supports Ontario Initiative in the North West Local Health Integration Network: Part 2 A Quantitative Evaluation of the Regional Behavioural Supports Ontario Program. BSO Evaluation. Submitted to the NW LHIN.
- Sutherland, N., Wiersma, E., & Fossum, S. (2018). A Process Evaluation of the Behavioural Supports Ontario Initiative in the North West Local Health Integration Network: Part 3 A Qualitative Evaluation of the Behavioural Supports Ontario Initiative in the North West Local Health Integration Network. Submitted to the NW LHIN.